Motorcycle Insurance FAQS

If you’re looking for further information about your motorbike insurance through Devitt, take a look through our FAQs below. If you can’t find the answer here, please get in touch with us… or use our existing customer page.

Getting in contact

How do I get in contact?

If you wish to get in contact with us by telephone, please call the appropriate line:

CUSTOMER SERVICE: 0344 225 1349

CLAIM LINE: 0345 872 3611

QUOTE LINE: 0345 872 3614

If you wish to get in contact via email, please send your enquiry to

What are your opening hours?

Our CUSTOMER SERVICE line is open:

  • 8.30am to 7pm, Monday to Friday
  • 9am to 1pm, Saturday

Our CLAIM LINE is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!

Our QUOTE LINE opening hours are:

  • 8.30am to 7pm, Monday to Friday
  • 9am to 5pm, Saturday
  • 10am to 4pm, Sunday
How to Submit Requested Documents?

There are a number of different ways you can submit your documents to us from our online portal to posting them directly to us. Documents we have requested from you to verify your insurance must be submitted within 7 days of the date your policy started.

Getting a quote

How does Devitt find the best motorcycle insurance for me?

By comparing prices from some of the UK’s leading insurers to find motorcycle insurance that suits your requirements at an affordable price. We only allow the most reputable insurance companies onto our panel for comparison, so you are offered motorcycle insurance you can trust and rely on.

How can I get a quote and how long will it take?

You can get a quote within minutes by filling in our online form or speaking with one of our UK-based, helpful and knowledgeable customer service assistants by calling our quote line on 0345 872 3614. We can insure you on the same day, so you can ride off safe in the knowledge you’re insured with a dependable company.

What information will I need to provide to get a quote?

You will need to have certain information ready to complete the relevant questions we will ask you. This includes your motorcycle detail, licence type/dates, annual mileage, occupation, postcode, security, No Claim Bonus and dates/details of any accidents and/or convictions you or any rider has experienced in the last five years (regardless of vehicle type/regardless whether deemed rider’s fault or not). If you have any questions about your insurance, simply pick up the phone or drop us a question online via our Contact Us page.

How can I get cheaper motorcycle insurance?

The key is that all of your details provide a low risk of accident or theft to the insurer; motorcycle insurance companies will look at a large range of ‘risk’ factors when calculating the premium. Read our guide to give you a better understanding and hopefully help you to lower your motorcycle insurance premium.

What motorcycles do you arrange cover for?

We help arrange cover for almost all types of motorcycle from scooters and mopeds to sports bikes and tourers, including all top manufacturers including BMW, Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, Harley-Davidson and Yamaha.

What's the difference between a modification and accessories on a motorcycle?

If your bike has been changed always ensure to declare any extras you have added to the vehicle that don’t effect performance  – otherwise known as Accessories – such as heated grips, panniers, Scott oilers etc.

Where component parts have been replaced or tweaked for a better ride, faster turning or straight line speed – these are known as Modifications – such as aftermarket exhaust systems, uprated rear shocks, rear sets changed, power commander, steering damper etc.

Important note: When you are entering details for a bike insurance quote, be aware of ASSUMED QUESTIONS, most comparisons will default to assume there are no modifications.  In these instances give us a call; we are well placed to accept a wide range of modifications.

Can I get 'agreed value' for my motorcycle?

If your bike is deemed classic, unique, cherished, one of a kind, collectable; then it’s advisable to ensure the value of the bike is pre agreed, to avoid aggravation in the event of a claim, on request. Insurers may require an upfront agreement on the value by requesting a declaration, photos and any supporting documentation.

If agreed, in the event of the claim, the Insurer will use this ‘agreed value’ to settle claims on, rather than assume a market value (which may be a lot less than you valued the motorcycle at).

Why isn't my motorbike insurance showing up on the MID yet?

The MID (Motor Insurance Database) is a central database that holds every insured vehicle in the UK. It is automatically updated when your motorbike insurance is taken out but takes a couple of days to update as insured.

It is not updated over weekends and bank holidays, so this may increase the time it takes to appear as insured. If you have received your insurance documents (in particular, your certificate of insurance) then this will be enough to help prove that you are insured for the interim. Check your own vehicle on the MID here.

I do not yet own the motorcycle; can I still get a quote?

Yes, it doesn’t matter if you own the motorcycle or not when looking for a quote. We recommend getting an insurance quote before you purchase the bike to make sure you are aware of the premium cost and terms. As long as when the policy starts you are the registered owner, you can even purchase the policy in advance. Please note, our quote premium and terms are valid for 30 days.

You can still get a quote if you do not know the registration details of the motorcycle, however you cannot purchase a policy until the registration number has been provided.

Will I be covered to carry pillions?

Yes, if your licence entitles you to carry pillions (this is normally where you have passed your Full Motorcycle test) and you have advised us you would like to, this will be included on your policy. If you advise that you will not carry pillions, some of our insurers provide a discount.

Will I be able to ride my motorcycle as soon as I take out a policy?

If you were to take up the policy starting on the same day you purchase the policy, cover will start immediately after payment has been taken.

My bike has been written off in the past, can I still get a quote?

This is dependent on what category of write off the bike is deemed to be. The perceived value of the motorcycle can be affected due to a previous write off. We may be able to cover dependent on the category of write off.  Please call us on 0345 872 3614.

How many people can ride my motorcycle?

We can cover a maximum of 4 riders on our motorcycle policies including the policy holder. Please note, these riders must be individually specified and acceptable. It will affect the premium dependent on their details and increased usage of the motorcycle.

How much discount would I get for using extra security on my motorcycle?

Dependent on the devices used our insurers will provide a variety of discounts in recognition, some providing up to 15% off the premium. Dependent on the Motorcycle style, use of security devices will not necessarily apply a ‘discount’ but instead affect the ability to quote.

I've completed a Speed Awareness Course; do I need to tell you this?

No, the course is taken as an alternative to receiving a fixed penalty and points on your licence.

Are you able to offer short term motorcycle insurance?

Unfortunately not, we only currently offer 12-month annual policies. If you take out an annual policy and then cancel it, there could potentially be a refund of premium depending on how long you have been on cover. Due to the fact that your insurance is contract, any cancellation will be subject to a cancellation fee too; however cancellation fees can be refunded if you return to us within 12 months.

Do you offer short term/temporary insurance for additional riders to use my bike?

Yes we do, subject to underwriting criteria and an additional charge. Please call us on 0345 872 3614.

Can I take my policy out in advance?

Yes, we can accept a quotation up to 30 days in advance of the inception date. Policies cannot be taken up earlier than 30 days. You can run a quote through earlier than 30 days to give you an indication of the premium but this quote will not be guaranteed for any longer than the 30 day period.

I have a foreign licence, can I still get cover?

Yes, we are able to arrange policies on foreign licences although requirements can vary. We suggest calling us to discuss on 0345 872 3614. However, we can only provide cover to UK residents.

What happens if my motorcycle is not listed online?
  • If your bike is not on the online list of motorcycles we suggest calling us to discuss on 0345 872 3614 as we still may be able to cover it.

Do I need to report car accidents in the motorcycle insurance quote?

Yes, we take all claims into account, accidents or losses whether fault or not fault on any vehicle.

Do I need to tell you about any criminal convictions that I may have?

Yes, failure to do so could invalidate your insurance.

Can you cover non-standard motorcycles / similar vehicles?

Yes, we can cover non-standard motorcycles and similar vehicles subject to underwriting criteria. We are able to cover the following:

  • Imported scooters / mopeds / motorcycles
  • Modified and custom bikes
  • Multi bike policies
  • Classic bikes and modern classic bikes
  • Trikes
  • Quad bikes
  • Blood running
  • CBT only holders (Compulsory Basic Training)

Please call us on 0345 872 3614 to discuss.

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide cover for the following:

  • Mobility scooters (although you are often able to cover mobility scooters as an extension of a home contents insurance policy.)
  • Bicycles (although you are often able to cover bicycles as an extension of a home contents insurance policy.)
  • Food delivery
  • Track days

Cover Types

Do you offer cover for me to ride other motorcycles?

Yes, if provided, it would be for Third party only cover and the motorcycle must be insured in its own right. Provision of this extra cover is subject to criteria, which is usually linked to the engine size of your motorcycle and whether your occupation is connected to Motor trade.  Please check your certificate of motor insurance for your underwriter’s terms.

Can a named rider use my bike for commuting?

It may be allowed for a named rider, subject to criteria and insurer.  Please call us on 0345 872 3614.

Can I add business use on my motorcycle insurance?

Yes, we can add business use to your motorcycle insurance policy, but it is subject to underwriting criteria and your specific requirements. We cannot cover for food delivery but incidental business use can be considered. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.

Which motorcycle insurance cover do you offer?

The three different levels of cover we offer are:

Comprehensive (Comp):

Comprehensive insurance policies cover anything from damage to others property/vehicle, to damage to your vehicle/property caused by an accident, theft or fire. Though, Comprehensive policies and what they cover does tend to vary greatly between insurers and so it’s important that you understand exactly what is included in the policy before you buy.

Third Party Fire and Theft (TPFT):

Third party fire and theft only insurance covers damage to others’ property/vehicle, plus your motorcycle in the event of a fire or theft. In the event of an accident that isn’t your fault, you may be able to claim through the insurance of the other individual involved.

Third Party Only cover (TPO):

This is the minimum insurance requirement for motorcycles in the UK, and it provides the minimum level of cover. Third Party Only insurance only covers damage to others’ property/vehicle and you/your vehicle won’t be covered in the event of any accident or incident, unless you’re involved in an accident that wasn’t your fault, in which case you may be able to claim through the insurance of the other individual involved. It can be handy for those on a budget, but it also means that you could be out of pocket should you ever need to make a claim (unless it is not your fault).

Third Party Only insurance is not always the cheapest option as many insurer will not permit policies on this cover, narrowing competitive rates, it’s worth seeking quotes for other covers before making a decision.

What is an excess?

An excess is the sum the insurer will demand that you contribute towards a claim to repair damage or replace your motorcycle.

A compulsory excess is the minimum excess the insurer will accept as the contribution towards a claims to repair or replace the vehicle. Almost all TPFT or COMPREHENSIVE policies will apply a compulsory excess. In addition, if you request – the level of excess can be increased in exchange for a discount.

A voluntary excess is an extra amount that you agree to pay towards a claim, in addition to the compulsory excess. Various levels of voluntary excess can be selected, usually in £50 increments from £50 to £500 – and in recognition of this; it can decrease your premium.


What extra optional cover is available?

We have the following optional extras available on our policies:

Can I add optional extras at any time?

Yes, you can choose to add any of our optional extras at any time. Simply call us on 0345 872 3614 to include additional cover on your policy.

No Claims Discount (NCD)

What is No Claims Discount (NCD)?

This can sometimes be called No Claims Bonus (NCB) but it means the same thing. Your NCD is a reduction in the premium charged for insurance when no claim has been made during an agreed preceding period. Your no claims discount goes up each consecutive year in which you do not make a claim. NCD can be moved across insurers and most insurers will ask for No claims discount proof – to lock in the discount you were entitled to on your old policy.

Am I able to use my No Claims Discount if it is already being used on another policy?

No Claims Discount can only be used on one policy at a time, though where we can insure more than 1 bike; we can mirror your No Claims Discounts.

Can I protect my No Claim Discount?

Yes you can, but you normally need to have earned a minimum of four years No Claims Discount (NCD). This usually, as a minimum, protects your NCD against one claim per year. This can vary from insurer to insurer and sometimes allow more claims in a specified period. However, any claim against you will still be taken into account maybe increasing your premium by insurers when quoting despite your level of NCD remaining the same.

If I have had a claim but my No Claim Discount was protected, do I have to disclose it?

Yes, all claims, including fault, non-fault and claims in other vehicle types must be disclosed to insurers.

How long is my No Claim Discount (NCD) valid for?

You must use your No Claims Discount within two years of expiry of your last policy to prevent it expiring. However, here at Devitt we can consider previous riding history or apply introductory NCDs. Please call us on 0345 872 3614 and we’ll do everything we can to help you.

Can I use my car or van No Claim Discount on a motorcycle policy?

Unfortunately not, only motorcycle No Claims Discount is able to be used on motorcycle policies.

How can I provide you my proof of my No Claims Discount?

If you advise that you have 1 or more years No Claims Discount, once your policy is active, you need to get proof of your NCD from your previous insurer into us within the first 14 days of start date. There are various ways that you can submit this to us. Use our handy form here to submit your documents either on desktop computer, tablet or mobile. You can even take a photo of it on your mobile and upload it straight to us. Alternatively, you can email them to

Multi Bike

What is multi bike insurance?

If you own more than one motorbike, we can accommodate you with one policy that you can put multiple bikes on or have multiple policies where we can reflect your NCD across them all and then provide a discount for multiple bikes. It can be a cheaper way to insure more than one bike.

If you would like to get a multi bike insurance quote, simply call us today on 0345 872 3614.

Policy changes

Can I change from motorcycle to car/van insurance mid-term?

No, you will need to cancel and take out a new policy. Please call us on 0345 872 3614.

Do I get a refund of my insurance premium if I sell my motorcycle, but have already paid in full?

Yes, but this will depend on how long you’ve had your insurance policy, how long the insurer has been covering your for, plus as your insurance is an annual contract it will be subject to a cancellation fee.

Do I need to advise you of my change of address and/or how I store my motorcycle overnight?

Yes, failure to do so could invalidate your insurance. Please call us on 0345 300 4870.

If I buy a new motorcycle can I change the motorcycles over?

Yes, subject to underwriting criteria. Please call us on 0345 300 4870.

Do I need to inform you if I change my occupation?

Yes, failure to do so could invalidate your insurance. Please call us on 0345 300 4870.

What happens if I miss an instalment payment?

If a Direct Debit payment is missed we will automatically apply to take the payment a second time approximately 7 days later. If this does not clear the second time we will chase for the payment. If the payment has not cleared for the first time there will be a missed payment fee added to the outstanding balance.

My bank details have changed and I pay by instalments, what do I do?

Simply give us a call on 0345 300 4870 and we can update this all for you.

I’ve sold my motorcycle, what do I need to do?

Give us a call on 0345 300 4870 and we can either look to process a change of motorcycle or arrange to cancel your policy for you.

Riding Abroad

What do I need to do when I take my motorcycle abroad and how long is it covered for?

If you are travelling within the EU most of our policies provide you with full policy cover for any temporary trip not exceeding 90 days – please check your policy booklet and ensure you take your insurance certificate and claim helpline number with you on your travels.

Which countries are classed as EU and associated countries?

Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands, the Republic of Ireland, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino and the Vatican City, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Making a Claim

What should I do in the event of an incident?

If you are aware of any accident or loss by you or a third party, you must report the incident as soon as possible by calling our claim line for free on 0345 872 3611. It is important to note that all accidents, thefts, attempted thefts and malicious damage incidents should be reported, even if you aren’t going to make a claim.

I have had an accident that wasn’t my fault – what should I do?

The first thing to do if you have had an accident that wasn’t your fault is to call our claim line for free on 0345 872 3611. If you have legal expenses cover, once it has been reported, a solicitor will be instructed to act upon your behalf. They will attempt to claim compensation from the negligent third party for any injuries sustained and any other uninsured losses.

Will my No Claim Discount (NCD) be affected?

If your insurer recovers the cost of the claim from the third party, your NCD will not be affected. If your insurer is unable to recover the cost of the claim from a third party your NCD may not be affected if you have purchased NCD protection – please refer to your insurance policy booklet and insurance policy schedule for further details. However, it may be affected whilst insurers/solicitors are establishing which party is at fault.

I’ve made a claim, what are the next steps?

Once you have reported a claim, your insurer, solicitor and repairer will be instructed. If you need to track the progress, just contact the following:

  • Status of claim: Insurer
  • Repair: Insurer (applies to comprehensive and third party fire and theft cover when the motorcycle has been stolen or damaged by fire)
  • Personal injury: Solicitor dealing with claim
  • Loan vehicle: Vehicle hire company

Your claim will be passed directly to your insurer and all claims whether theft or accident related are dealt with quickly and efficiently. In cases of theft the insurer will try and recover what was stolen, which may result in the claim taking a little longer to settle.

If what was stolen is recovered but damaged as a result of the theft or attempted theft, the repair cost will be covered by your policy (unless you have third party only cover) although you will need to contribute any policy excess that may apply.


How do I pay for my renewal?

If you are an existing Devitt policyholder for motorcycle insurance and have received your renewal letter from us and you wish to pay for the entire premium, you can renew your policy online to by giving us a call.

Will my policy auto-renew?

If you have agreed to set auto-renewal on your policy, you won’t need to do anything and your previous payment method will be used. You can call us to check if you’re on auto-renewal (and remove it if you wish), or you will be able to check on your renewal invitation which you’ll receive 21 days before your renewal.

If you do not want to renew your policy, please call us on 0345 872 3607.

What happens after renewal?

Once your renewal has been processed, we will send all of your documents to you by email or post as specified. Your new annual policy will then start from your new renewal date.

Can I make changes to my policy at renewal?

Yes, subject to underwriting criteria. Please call us on 0345 300 4870.

How can I discuss my renewal quote?

Simply give us a call on 0345 300 4870.

How and when will I receive my renewal?

You will receive your renewal document approximately 21 days in advance of your renewal date via either email or post, whichever your chosen receipt option upon inception.

Why has the excess changed on my renewal?

You should always check the details of your policy renewal. Insurers can sometimes update their excesses or endorsements. If you are unhappy with any changes made on your renewal, please contact us to discuss and we try to find a resolution that suits you.

What happens if I do not wish to proceed with my renewal?

Give us a call on 0345 300 4870, prior to the renewal date and we can lapse off the policy for you.

Cancellations and Fees

How do I cancel my policy?

All you have to do is call us directly on 0345 300 4870 and speak to one of our Customer Service Advisors.

Why do you charge a cancellation fee?

When you take out an insurance policy, you agree to an annual contract. As with any contract, you agree to the terms before taking it out, if you cancel this early then a fee will apply to cover administration costs of the policy.

What do you mean by ‘refundable cancellation fee’?

If you were to cancel a policy with us, and then take out another policy directly with us (not through a comparison site) we will refund a portion or all of your fee. All you have to do is call us directly on 0345 872 3614 and speak to one of our Customer Service Advisors.

This is transferable across products, so if you cancel your motorcycle insurance because you’ve sold your bike, and you’re going to start using a car, you can get your cancellation fee for bike insurance refunded when you take out car insurance.

We’re opening this up to past customers too, so if you’ve cancelled your insurance through us in the last 12 months and paid a cancellation fee, call us today and we’ll take it off your next bike, car, van or home insurance policy.

What do you mean by ’14 day cooling off’ period’?

You have a statutory right to cancel your policy within 14 days either from the day of purchase or renewal of the policy or the day, on which you receive your policy or renewal documentation, whichever is the later. We will return any premium paid less a reduced administration fee and any premium charge for the number of days for which insurance cover has been provided. However, no refund will be due if a claim involving the total loss of your motorcycle has been made during that period. *Please refer to ‘Our Fees and Charges’.

Can I cancel after the 14 day cooling off period?

After the 14 day cooling off period you can still cancel this policy at any time by letting us know. Provided that no claim has occurred in the current period of insurance, your insurer will calculate the premium for the period they have been insuring you and a rebate will be allowed in accordance with the scale shown in your policy booklet. Cancellations are subject to an administration fee. Please refer to ‘Our Fees and Charges’.


How can I make a complaint?

In the event of any complaint please contact us quoting your reference number and/or your policy number. You can give details of your complaint:

  • In writing to: Devitt Insurance Services Limited, North House, St Edwards Way, Romford, Essex, RM1 3PP, or,
  • By telephone: Before purchase – 0345 504 0392, After purchase – 0345 300 4870
  • By Email: Alternatively, if you wish to email us with details of your complaint, please click Contact us and submit your complaint via email from there.
How long will it take to hear back about my complaint?

The member of staff receiving your communication will try to resolve your complaint immediately. If they cannot, or further investigation is required, we promise to inform you of this within five business days. In the unlikely event that your complaint has not been resolved within four weeks of its receipt, we will write and let you know the reasons why and the further action we will take. Within eight weeks of its receipt we will either issue you with a final response letter detailing the outcome of our investigation and our decision, or a letter confirming when we anticipate to have concluded our investigation. Whilst we are investigating your complaint, we will keep in regular contact with you.

My complaint hasn’t been dealt with, who can I refer it to?

If you remain unhappy with the outcome of your complaint or it is eight weeks since you raised your complaint (whichever is sooner), you may either refer your complaint to the Managing Director of Devitt Insurance Services Ltd at the same address or to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) at Exchange Tower, London, E14 9SR. Telephone number 0300 123 9 123. You can visit their website at: