Husqvarna releases hardcore Expedition version of Norden 901 ADV machine for 2023
The sales figures for BMW’s R1250 GS must be a little dispiriting for the competition. Not only does the basic 1250 GS sell by the truckloads, the Bavarian firm also makes a fancy Adventure version, with even more hardcore kit, and a higher price – and it also sells by the truckload… It does the same trick with the smaller F850/750 GS as well, which comes in three variants.
So, if you can’t beat them – join them, seems to be the approach of Husqvarna and its parent brand, KTM. Husqvarna launched the standard Norden 901 adventure machine last year, to critical acclaim. The base Norden is a ‘hipster’ variant of parent firm KTM’s 890 Adventure, using the same 105bhp 899cc parallel twin motor and steel tube trellis frame, with higher spec chassis kit, a retro round headlamp design, and a chunkier price tag.
It’s been a modest hit for the firm: Husqvarna is a bit of a niche brand, aimed at folk who find the standard KTM range a little bit too loud, orange and garish. Husky’s subtle colourways, Nordic Ikea-ish design cues and upscaled finish on metal parts isn’t for everyone – but it is very alluring to the right customer.
But the boffins at Husqvarna have been beavering away on the base Norden to bring us this: the 2023 Expedition version. It’s a fairly familiar upgrade path: there’s higher-spec adjustable suspension with 20mm more travel, massive hardcore alloy skid plate/fuel tank protector, a taller windscreen plus neat semi-hard luggage and rear rack all as standard.
The 21” front and 18” rear tubeless wire-spoked rims wear tougher offroad Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR rubber, you get beefy hand protectors, plus hot grips and a heated seat to improve comfort on those Arctic Circle jaunts, and it even has a proper centre stand too – just the job for fixing a puncture in the middle of Iceland. Perhaps surprisingly, there’s no larger fuel tank: it stays the same at 19 litres. That might be because the Norden/Adventure range has an unusual tank design that comes right down either side of the engine almost to the crankcases.
The Expedition’s suspension upgrade comes from the KTM group’s suspension outfit WP of course, and includes a set of XPLOR-USD 48mm fork, and an XPLOR-PDS rear shock. Both ends are fully adjustable for compression, rebound and preload for the perfect setup, and have a hefty 240mm travel.
There’s a superb electronics package: full rider aids suite with cornering ABS, off-road modes, traction control, wheelie control, quickshifter, Bluetooth connectivity, and more, all controlled through a full colour TFT LCD dash and KTM’s slick switchgear. Rounding it all off is a slick paint job, with premium graphics, and high-end soft luggage out back.
Husqvarna’s 2023 Norden 901 Expedition will be in dealers from mid-March and is available to order now, costing £13,599 otr. For more information on the 2023 Norden 901 Expedition, go to https://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/en-gb.html
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901 Expedition tech highlights
- WP XPLOR suspension offers longer travel (240 mm) and full adjustability
- Heated grips and rider seat for cold weather comfort
- Touring windshield for reduced fatigue on extended rides
- Side bag set offers convenient storage
- Centrestand for easier maintenance
- Heavy duty skid plate for complete protection of fuel tank and engine
- Connectivity unit provides Turn-by-Turn+ navigation, Call-In, Call-Out, and music selection from the rider’s smartphone
- Ride Husqvarna Motorcycles app available from Apple AppStore and Google Playstore
- Chromium-molybdenum steel trellis frame with engine as stressed member
- 889 cc parallel-twin engine with 105 hp peak power and 100 Nm of torque
- Four selectable ride modes (Street, Rain, Offroad, Explorer)
- Cutting-edge, switchable cornering ABS with Offroad mode
- Easy Shift function
- Cornering-sensitive traction control allows for nine levels of adjustable rear wheel slip (in Explorer mode)
- Power Assist Slipper Clutch (PASC)
- Tubeless spoked wheels in offroad dimensions and Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR tyres for maximum performance on the street and offroad
- Large capacity 19-litre fuel tank provides an extended range of up to 250 miles